Thursday, November 21, 2019

Big Little Lies

by Liane Moriarty


Amy Einhorn Books, G.P. Putnam's Sons, Penguin Group, 2014

B+ because I hate gossip and bickering. A- because it is a well-written who-done-it!

Numerous people insisted I would love the TV series. They don’t know me very well. I insisted on reading the novel before watching the show. I’m glad I did.

Maddie means well but is nosy and bossy. Her 2nd husband, Ed, is a saint. Celeste and Paul are wealthy, kinky, and fun to be around. Jane is hiding from herself.

Their four kids all start kindergarten together in the first chapter. Maddie’s’ daughter Chloe is outgoing and a leader. Celeste’s twins, Josh and Max, are…well…boys, while Jane’s son Ziggy is more reserved.

On the first day of school, someone chokes Renatta’s (queen bee of the school committee) daughter, Amabella.

Renata makes a scene, Amabella points out Ziggy. Battle lines are drawn when Ziggy says he didn’t do it, and Jane supports him.

The cattiness and bitxxing infuriates us for months. Until a body flies off a balcony at the school fundraiser.

Moriarty entertains us with not only story but format. To engage the readers early, she introduces the murder in the first chapter but doesn’t tell us who died. The investigation then overlaps the backstory explaining the first months of kindergarten — an excellent use of format to set the story apart from more traditional reads.

I congratulate the author on her mystique. I pride myself on picking up loose threads and small clues. I was able to figure out who the victim was, but I was wrong about the murderer, although I nailed the motive. It was very well done, indeed!

So well done, in fact, that I decided to watch the tv series. But, the gossip and anger and talking-behind-the-backs of ‘friends’ gave me agita. I didn’t watch a second episode. I didn’t want it to ruin the book!

No comments: